If your budget is tight and you are looking for ways to decorate your apartment using thrift store finds, consider this list of eight items that can be found at thrift stores:
- Dressers. A chest of drawers or a dresser is often a focal point in a bedroom. Unique options can be found at thrift stores and vintage shops. These can be given a speedy makeover if needed. Two things to check before you buy are draws and smells. Ensure the drawers work properly and the dresser is free of nasty smells.
- Mirrors. Before purchasing a mirror, get a good idea of the space that it will occupy. You need to make sure it fits properly. Then get creative. Keep it as is, or change the color to fit your mood. You can even add objects to the frame if you like.
- Pottery and Serving Dishes. Look for unusual or distinctive pottery for serving dishes. Having a showpiece to put in your apartment or to serve when your guests arrive can be very exciting.
- Hardcover Books. Bring color to bookshelves or simply make them look more attractive by buying books at thrift stores. These are far less expensive at a thrift store than at a bookstore. Consider putting books on a table so the splines transition from purple to blue or red to yellow.
- Side Tables. You can often find side tables for the living room or bedroom at a thrift store with good bones and simply need a little refinishing to make them pop. Be on the lookout for rare designs.
- Art. Paintings and photographs of distinctive images can often be found at thrift stores. Use the frame they come in or refinish it.
- Upholstered items. Top-notch chairs and couches can sometimes be found at thrift stores. Even if they need to be reupholstered, they can be worth it in the long run.
- Chandeliers, lamps, and other lighting objects. Often lighting objects only need a light bulb to be working perfectly. Try to find an electric outlet in the store before you buy to test the light. If you can find a true vintage piece, consider buying it. It will make a stronger design statement in your home or apartment.